Monday, December 3, 2007

From Bailey

Dear WhIM Class,

I have had this message in my drafts folder for about two weeks because I was going to write more about the secret but since there are only two weeks left I'm just going to send it and leave that for later. I attached what I wrote about the secret because it is pretty long, but you can read it if you'd like. Also I am writing about some options for a final project or a group project that you might be interested in.

Dream project - We talked about this at the class before Thanksgiving break but we haven't started yet. Basically this would be for people who want to write down their dreams and then meet before class for a half hour or so and share. Some other topics to explore might be: a history of dreams and famous dreams (in religion, movies, songs etc), lucid dreaming (being conscious in your dream and controlling it), meaning of dreams, math in dreams, spirituality in dreams or anything else dream-related. Since there are only two weeks left of class, there wouldn't be enough time to do a whole group project based on our own personal dreams but if we did the group and also did some research we could present to the class and share. If there are enough people that want to work on this but have a class scheduled before WhIM we can figure out another time but the people who initially wanted to do this could all meet then. Email me if you would like to start this by this week.

Lyrics. Some people really enjoyed analyzing the Canibus lyrics together as a class and discussing them. Since so many of you put time into doing the listening exercise I think we should do this one more time. I will find out how many people are interested in class or email me, and we will meet once this week if you are able to (maybe after or before class Friday?). Also I know that some people liked having that general conversation but didn't really care about Canibus as a topic. Maybe students could suggest other songs that they are interested in discussing as a class. I remember Andrea suggesting "Story of an Artist". We could also analyze poems together if anyone likes reading poetry. So I'm going to definitely offer an opportunity to talk more about Canibus and I will prepare questions and resources but if anyone else has something else that they would like us to listen to/read let me know so we can coordinate and try to come up with projects that compliment each other.

The one other thing is that Casey and I want to write a song together as a final project. Would anyone be interested in helping with the writing, playing an instrument singing or contributing ideas? The song will basically be about the class, but I don't know what specifically.

I don't know how exactly these things fit into the group project/final paper but let's talk about it in class tomorrow.

--
Bailey Solomon Johnson
Children's School of Rochester Graduate
Rochester School of the Arts Graduate
Ithaca College Expatriate
Currently studying: The Art of Change at Empire State College through the State University of New York

No comments: